A firewall problem?

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Fri Jul 4 07:53:16 PDT 2003

I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about, but from what I got, it
depends on the firewall type, and the location of the man in the middle.

Various firewall types:

Simple packet filters.

Slightly smarter packet filters that also do NAT and keep track of
connections - (this is needed for the NAT to work because it needs to
change the src/dest ports to differentiate between hosts behind the
NAT's.  i.e. ipf, iptables, etc...)

Application layer proxies (i.e. socks, etc.) but those that validate the
traffic is what's its supposed to be. (stateful inspection.)

Generally your attacker needs to own a router upstream from you to be
sucessful in replay attacks.  But if you use a secure encrypted transport,
it gets much, much harder.  (i.e. encrypt the payload, not just the
headers.)

If the attacker is just somewhere else on the wild internet, he can send
you packets with forged src addresses, but he won't be able see the
replies, so at most it's a denial of service on your machine.

So your attacker needs to either use his real ip address (or one of a
machine he already cracked) or he needs to own the router directly
upstream from you (i.e. your ISP) so your packets don't have any path to
go through but through him.

If he's on your network, or directly upstream, he can do something called
tcp-hijacking.  There is some interesting related stuff here for you to
research to get you answers regarding this:

http://cs.baylor.edu/~donahoo/NIUNet/hijack.html

There are possible ways around this issue, but would likely require an
encrypted sessions (ipsec, ssl/tls, or ssh for example.)

If you just have a simple packet filter, it's possible to use such things.
If you have a hardened application layer proxy server that inspects
packets, you can be a bit more secure.

An important thing to implement is secure tcp sequence numbers.  They make
the sequence # predictions harder, so it's not so easy hijack the
connections.

But this depends on your OS and tcp/ip implementation:

The best paper on this I've seen so far:
http://razor.bindview.com/publish/papers/tcpseq.html

And here's some security alerts regarding weak sequence #'s for example:

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-2968.html

Again, if your attacker owns the router directly upstream from you, that
won't help very much because you can assume that they'd be able to
intercept and alter packets in real time.  This of course isn't trivial,
but it is doable with fast enough hardware if located directly upstream
from you.

But it won't allow the attacker to hijack encrypted connections to known
hosts, or hosts using properly signed (by a well known CA) SSL
certificates.  It will allow the attacker to do plenty of monkeying with
your email (both inbound and outbound), DNS, and unencrypted web traffic,
and possibly ssh sessions to machines you haven't logged into before
(where you have to say "Yes, this is the machine I want to login to.")

(He won't be able to do much against encrypted emails, but he can always
frustrate you by deleting them or slightly altering them so they fail to
decrypt, so if you're clueless, you'll go to plaintext believing that
this encryption stuff is too much of a headache and it's unreliable, and
he'll be able to monkey with the plaintext ones.)

 + ^ + :25Kliters anthrax, 38K liters botulinum toxin, 500 tons of   /|\
  \|/  :sarin, mustard and VX gas, mobile bio-weapons labs, nukular /\|/\
<--*-->:weapons.. Reasons for war on Iraq - GWB 2003-01-28 speech.  \/|\/
  /|\  :Found to date: 0.  Cost of war: $800,000,000,000 USD.        \|/
 + v + :           The look on Sadam's face - priceless!
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------