All quiet on the western front

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:47:13 PDT 2003

A. Melon wrote...

"There are very few in the general population that are cut to be true
dissenters and act upon it. Now this age brings in the additional
requirement: they have to also be decent engineers. As a result, there
are very few left."

I agree with this assessment, but would also suggest that Tim May's
old-fogeyism has some validity to it. As far as I'm concerned, the state has
successfully bonded with big media to pretty much stifle a lot of critical
thinking, particularly about what other Americans believe. We saw it with
the war protests--despite the fact that the numbers were larger than during
Vietnam, the media was successful in (first of all) convincing Americans
that the vast majority of Americans supported the war/troops/president.
After that, since most Americans believed the right thing was to support the
war (because "everybody else supports it"), they then came to quasi-support
it, or at least shut up about it. And still, no Osama, no Saddam, and no
WMD, but only "kooks" and "commies" are screaming about it.

Thus, to go back o your point, you're starting off with a small population
of dissenters, so that once you pass down through the needs for engineering
and math skills, you're left with very little.

On the other hand, the only thing that's stopping me from coding up my
"eJector"  is a full time job and trying to live in the little spare time I
have. So I guess I'm in the population you describe and will be, as long as
I remain employed.

But then again...if someone I actually know gets tortured or whatever, that
could change at any minute. Then I'll be the REAL...

-Tyler Durden