Reporter writing article on proffr/mattd and threats

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Jul 2 13:09:02 PDT 2003

I received a phone call today from a newspaper reporter who's writing an
article on mattd/proffr and wanted background on the cypherpunks group or
movement, as he put it. The reporter -- who covers crime, law enforcement,
and the courts -- wanted to know whether mattd/proffr was representative of
the group or an outlier, and stressed that two other cypherpunks have been
imprisoned for their actions in this area.

Apparently mattd/proffr has been saying on cypherpunks that some federal
prosecutors need killing. Then that post was indexed by Google, and now it
is a prominent hit for the name of said prosecutor. (I say apparently
because, thanks to the good graces of procmail, I haven't read any
mattd/proffr posts in ages. This is what I gathered solely from the phone
conversation.)

Anyway, the Feds apparently are neither confirming nor denying that an
investigation is in progress, except to say that they are "aware" of
mattd/proffr's post.

This is what I learned from the phone call. I have no firsthand knowledge.

-Declan