the news from bush's speech...H-power

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 18:08:45 PST 2003

Tim May wrote...

"Ask why the U.S.S.R., which depended essentially solely on "federal
funding," failed so completely. Hint: it wasn't just because of repression.
It was largely because "picking winners" doesn't work, and command economies
only know how to pick winners (they think)."

Well, there's some truth here but a lot of oversimplification as well.
I'd argue that the US patent system (or at least the thoughtof it) had a lot
to do with the ability of inventors to take risks, gather startup capital,
and get a product rolling. There is first of all the perception that their
"secret sauce" is to some extent protected (as are the time & $
investments), as well as the actual protection (litigation actually works
once in a while, and the threat thereof has kept some from copying to soon
and too closely). This environment has had a major effect on technological
innovation.

That's not to say it can't happen in other environments, but it seems to
unfold very differently in, say, China or the USSR (which actually has
contributed lots of technological and scientific ideas to the world). But
none of them have benefited $$$-wise (nor has the pace been nearly as fast)
as in the US.

Meanwhile, regulations and governments can give some industries a head
start, particularly if a "jungle" already holds a nice warm niche for the
output of those industries. Thus Sematec helped US semiconductors to roar
back from the brink of extinction, and the buying up (and subsequent
dismantling) of lite rail systems in the LA basin in the 30s and 40s
apparently had a major impact on the rollout of vehicles Might we have seen
much better public transportation in that area if this capitalist
coup-d'etat hadn't occurred? The moon shots did apparently accelerate the
development of semiconductors.

(A side note should be made here about the fact that some technologies have
a very high activation energy barrier...without a very intensive amount of
capital, they can't happen. Indeed, aren't we nearly at that point with
sub-0.13um technology? It is possible that further advances just won't be
possible without direct or indirect government funding.)

The best technology does not always win. In fact, the concept of "best
technology" is kinda shakey most of the time. There are sociological,
political, and other factors than can alter the course of things for a
while.

That said, the technological "survival of the fittest" notion seems to be a
fairly constant undercurrent that re-asserts itself periodically as the
various sociological ephemera come and go. Like Kuhn or Popper, these aren't
the only drivers, but they are certainly one of the axes.

So the picking of technological winners is possible, but if the technology
is actually a winner!

-TD