the news from bush's speech...H-power

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Wed Jan 29 15:43:24 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:18:44PM -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
> At 2:24 PM -0800 1/29/03, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >Feds are sure inefficient, but the random dispersal of funds does tend to
> >hit the far shots now and then. The private sector tends to ruthlessly
> >optimize on the short run (because the long shot doesn't pay if you go
> >broke before you can reap the possible benefits).
>
> Back a few years ago, probably back during the great gas crisis (i.e. OPEC)
> years, there were a lot of small companies working on solar power.  As far
> as I know, they were all bought up by oil companies.  Of course, only a
> paranoid would think that they were bought to suppress a competing
> technology.

    All bought up by oil companies? Hmmm -- maybe you should do some googling on
solar panels, alternative energy, etc. Solar's been a growing industry for some
time, being very widely installed around the world. You can even buy it a Home
Depot. It's getting quite cheap, many people are finding it a better buy than
paying an electric bill.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix