[DIGRESSION] RE: the news from bush's speech...H-power

Mike Rosing eresrch at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 29 15:36:20 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>    Although canola oil is a much better source for fuel. And diesels a much
> better IC engine for hybrids. Even in non-hybrids, VW builds some pretty nice
> diesel cars, including the Lupo, on the market for a couple years now, which
> gets 80mpg. And the prototype that VW's CEO drives around in that gets 280mpg.

From
http://www.used-volkswagen-cars.co.uk/volkswagenlupo.htm:

"As befits a small car, the cheapest models come with a 1.0-litre engine
that is decent enough, though finds it hard going on the motorway."

And I bet an alcohol fueled model airplane engine gets 1000 mpg.  It
just can't lift a gallon!

We have put a lot of research money into fuel cells, and the pay off is
not in auto's, it's in battery replacement.  Energy density and economics
are both important, as is infrastructure and politics.  I'll be climbing
on my bicycle in a few minutes to ride home in the snow - it uses regular
meat and potatoes for fuel :-)  But not many people can deal with the
risks.

If we make it a law that everyone rides their bike to work so we can use
the gasoline to conquer the world, Bush might get a second term.

But let's hope not.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike