Secure voice app: FEATURE REQUEST: RECORD IPs

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Jan 27 14:47:37 PST 2003

At 11:25 AM 1/27/03 -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:23:15AM -0800, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>> The versions of all the secure phones I've evaluated needed this
>> feature:
>> a minimal answering machine.  With just the ability to record IPs of

>   Pretty hard to do if people are using dialup. Or even dsl, unless
they run a
>linux box they don't ever reboot -- although I've found my dsl ip
changing
>sometimes on it's own, and with no rhyme or reason.

Merely notifying me that someone called is useful.

It wouldn't require rocket science to recognize an entire class C
address
as a friend.  And remember this proposal is fully back compatible with
earlier
versions of a sec phone.

If you wanted to mess with the protocol, you could obviously add an
identifier
exchange component.  I am not familiar with SpeakFreely's protocol so I
don't
know if it can be extended without breaking compatability.