Secure voice app: FEATURE REQUEST: RECORD IPs

Michael Motyka mmotyka at lsil.com
Mon Jan 27 12:15:03 PST 2003

Harmon Seaver <hseaver at cybershamanix.com>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:06:24PM +0100, Thomas Shaddack wrote:
> > DSL lease timeout. A feature of DHCP-based dynamic IP addresses over
> > permanent connections. Similar for cable, though the differences yo
> > observed seem to be rather implementation-dependent than principial.
>
>    No, not really. It's far too irregular for that, sometimes goes for over a
> month, then sometimes 2-3 times in a week. More like them doing work on the
> system.

That's about what I've seen.

> Not really dhcp anyway, it's Eoppp. Cable is usally dhcp, and is better
> because it authenticates on the mac address of the cable modem. And dhcp can be
> set up to always give the same ip to a certain mac address, but I don't think
> the eoppp can, or at least they don't -- it always has to negotiate a
> challange/passwd response which can be quite problematic -- sometimes the only
> way to get it to work again is to unplug  the modem for 30 seconds or so, which,
> of course, frustrates any script you have to automagically reset dns for your
> domainname, or even just keep you online.
>
>Harmon Seaver

There's probably an X10 module that would let your Linux box cycle the power on your
modem/router/switch.

try $50 : http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_ck11a.htm

If you're not using a domain name then your script could publish your IP address on
your home page ( in the clear or not as you choose ).

Mike