Fwd: HiveCache - P2P Backups

Fearghas McKay fm at espace.net
Tue Jan 21 14:36:40 PST 2003

--- begin forwarded text

From: Peter Gradwell <peter at gradwell.com> (by way of Fearghas McKay
<fm-news123 at st-kilda.org>)
To: fm at espace.net
Subject: HiveCache - P2P Backups
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:04:35 -0800

Hello

Apologies for the intrusion. As well has running an ISP, I have an
interest in Grid Computing systems and micro accounting architectures.

As part of the interest, I would like to deploy a product called
HiveCache (www.hivecache.com) to my customer base, and others
interested.

HiveCache is a p2p backup system where by you define an amount of disk
space available on your machine (which is connected via broadband of
course!) and vice versa, your files get split up, encrypted and then
stored on everyone elses' disk space.

HiveCache does all sorts of clever things, like making sure enough
copies are kept in various places, files are split & encrypted,
allowing you to retrieve them, etc.

Ultimately, I would like to faciliate a system where by we act as a
clearing house so that users can buy & sell disk space & resources.

In order to get going however, I would like to take part in the
HiveCache pilot. To do this, I require 25-50 willing volunteers.

You will need:

- an always on broadband connection
- a few gig of spare disk space
- a little enthusiasm and a willingness to return comments

If that sounds like you, then please could you drop an email to
hivecache at gradwell.net stating your
- name,
- email,
- type of internet connection and
- what operating system you're running on.

Any questions, let me know.

many thanks
peter

engineering & hosting services for email, web and usenet

--- end forwarded text

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA