Harbucks (was Re: Small taste of things to come if the war on Iraq happens.)

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Jan 20 17:11:11 PST 2003

Yeah, not that I frequent them much - as I don't think that spending $7 on
a greasy vendi Crappuchino* or whatever full of caffeine, corn syrup and
heavy cream is a wise way to spend $7 when the corner deli has damned good
coffee for $1.25, but Harbucks** reminds me of the beatnick coffee houses
of the days of lore, where men would gather and talk of revolution. :)

Strange that such a place is now connected with "Working for The Man" and
creeping consumerism, and evil corporations...

Of course, now, the local Harbucks, it's full of palm pilot bearing geeks
trying to nervously hook up with a prospective date, while sitting in
comfy cartoonish chairs and couches (think the more LSD like Tom & Jerry
episodes), getting wired on expensive caffeine and sugar and complaining
about not being able to take the pressure**1/2, while surfing wired.com or
slashdot.org wirlessly, or in need of passing time for the sake of just
passing time without getting nabbed by the gendarmes for loitering behding
the 7-11 and drinking non-alcoholic beer*.

That, and the current dive dot bomb that has hired me as a sysadmin and
working me 70 hours a week in this sinking market, has so little room for
private meetings that we've had to have some there - in public (irony!),
so on the flip side, I see it as a work related place - not conducive to
enjoyment.

Bah, gimme the corner Irish Bar where nobody knows my name***, but has a
fresh Guinness on tap, and a damned good bacon mushroom cheeseburger with
a side of fries (and malt vinegar), no cat to ask for my slice of pecan
pie**** or 20+ year old single malt scotch (made in Scotland of course!)
and I'm a happy, damed, cyperpunk for fuck's sake!

* Sly Beavis and Butthead refrence

** Slyer still South Park refrence - at least it doesn't taste like
vomit. :)

**1/2 - Tweak character out of South Park referring to episode featuring
Harbucks.

*** Obligatory anonimity refrence - to keep this on topic - not that
anyone cares anymore about not pissing in the pool like 2nd graders****

**** South Park again, what else.

 + ^ + :NSA got $20Bil/year |Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :and didn't stop 9-11|share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:Instead of rewarding|monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :their failures, we  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :should get refunds! |site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------