[linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the DMCA enforcers (fwd)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Jan 20 14:36:33 PST 2003

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 09:08  PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> I suspect would be silly to stage an anti-DMCA protest against an
> invited
> speaker to that Stanford class. Lessig, Gilmore, Barlow, Farber, and
> Stallman have been speakers (and I'm scheduled to be in the spring
> lineup).
>
> At the very least, it makes sense to find out more about the program
> and have a cordial conversation with the organizers before rushing
> to stage a demonstration. Activist-hours are a scarce resource; use
> them prudently, carefully, and wisely.

I've been to a few of these, and once spoke at one, circa 1993.

IMO, nearly worthless. Thinking about how little can get covered in an
hour at a Cypherpunks meeting, imagine what happens in any particular
one hour of one of these things: just enough time to establish a few
basic points, hit on some of the current issues, and take some
questions.

For the actual students, not so bad, as they're getting 15 or so of
these lectures per semester, and the intent is to provide a survey of
topics.

(Strangely enough, 15 times "nearly worthless" is OK...for a survey
class!)

The point is that anyone already familiar with the topic or the issues
will not learn anything.

Which leaves arguing with the speaker as the only reason for
going...and arguing with the speaker is not worthwhile, given the
extreme constraints on time. And given the usual pointlessness of
arguing with others.

--Tim May