[linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the DMCA enforcers (fwd)

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sun Jan 19 10:10:08 PST 2003

Based on Larry Augustin's apology for cops and his avowed closeness to them, a protest is even more deserved against him if not the other participants.

Larry appears to be quoting from the COPS PR manual for garnering public support to offset deserved criticism of official misbehavior.

Larry is not alone in seeing the lucrative benefits of defending the giant law enforcement and national security industries, why you can read the turncoats all around the world of digital opportunity going on about the need for vigilance on the dangerous Net and worse, advocating prowling Intel-inside private computers networks to spot looming threats.

As just one example see Counterpane's recent crowing about success, one of its lengthening series of warnings about the need for more and more security against the dangerous digital hordes, and less and less warnings about the need to protect against official and commercial invaders who are handing out lucrative contracts to Net security firms and professionals.

Nothng like a fat bribe to convert pagans to organized terrorists screaming beware the sinners. Hmm, wasn't St. Augustine a prime role model for that crossover, as if Larry Augustin is a namesake.

To be sure, informers are best recruited from the pagans for they know how to magnify the hazards of their clan.