Vampires, GM Food and Malawi

W H Robinson whr at x.org
Fri Jan 17 02:07:49 PST 2003

Andri Isidoro Fernandes Esteves wrote:
> Malawian vampires now using sleeping gas
>
> New York Times
>
>  "Malawi, despite the best efforts of its government, is in the grip of a
> form of hysteria. Vampires are attacking the villages, people say.
[snip]
> Their prey, witnesses
> insist, are modern-day vampires: men carrying flashlights who disable their
> victims with sleeping gas."
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/14/international/africa/14VAMP.html?ex=1043211600&en=d065b1e057b4c483&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE
[snip]
> Conspiracies abound ;)

"Gee! It's Mr. Adams, the theme park owner!"
"I would have got away with it, if it weren't for you pesky meddlin'
vigilante villagers."

Quoth the article...
"Everyone knows that politicians lie, Mr. Kaiya said, which is why few
people trust the government's position on vampires."

How many people in *your* home town would buy out local garlic stocks if
this was the latest orange alert?