3G Phones (was: Re: Brinworld: Samsung SCH-V310 camcorder phone)

Meyer Wolfsheim wolf at priori.net
Tue Jan 14 12:08:47 PST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Steve Mynott wrote:

> > ... and they lie about it being 3G (which doesn't exist yet.)
>
> It's a CDMA2000 phone which is 3G.
>
> 3G networks exist in many parts of the world, although behind schedule
> in other parts.

Hmm. I actually can't find any specs on that phone's max speed. The
CDMA2000 service being offered by Sprint and Verison in the US does not
meet the criteria for 3G.

CDMA2000 1x as defined by the ITU is, a 3G standard. Keep in mind,
however, that in order to be 3G by the ITU definition, a standard needs to
deliver data rates of a minimum of 144 Kbps.

The top speed I've seen advertised for CDMA2000 deployments is 70 Kbps. Is
CDMA2000 being used outside North America? I thought GSM/GPRS was the
dominant standard in Europe and Asia. (GPRS is never 3G.)

-MW-