Dossiers and Customer Courtesy Cards

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Jan 6 07:44:27 PST 2003

> Mike Rosing[SMTP:eresrch at eskimo.com] wrote:
>

> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Todd Boyle wrote:
>
> > Its not enough to put the chips next to the beer.  They want
> > to examining the layout of all their shelf space.
> > The cash register data alone, is enough to do this, but
> > it doesn't work very well for shoppers who come and
> > buy chips on tuesday and beer on wednesday.  The
> > card lets them associate your whole shopping cart
> > for the month.
>
> It's a nice idea, but they have several people on one card.
> When my kids are teenagers, they'll have the same card I
> and my wife have.  So they have whole families in that data
> mix.  I'd think they would try to correlate the cash register
> data with each person - the kids are in the candy corner,
> the dad is getting the beer and mom is getting the chips.
> Doesn't seem like a very simple problem to me!
>
> Patience, persistence, truth,
> Dr. mike

Actually, many stores go to a lot of trouble to find a pessimal
arrangement of items - the more shelves a customer walks
past, the more impulse buys he/she is likely to make. There's
a reason the dairy section is usually the furthest from the door.

At Shaw's (one of our local chains) using the courtesy card
can sometimes lead to quite substantial savings - 50% on
some items such as meats. At times, my overall grocery bill
has been cut 20% by using a card.

Peter Trei