biological systems and cryptography

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Jan 3 02:10:54 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 04:50  AM, <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:

> What's the latest news on Adelman's cryptological
> soup? Once his DNA crypto was touted as a
> substantial breakthrough for crypto, though since
> overshadowed by quantum crypto smoke-blowing.
>
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/crypto/1999-q4/0257.html

No serious person could have believed that even a swimming pool full of
Adleman's DNA would have made a dent in crypto. I know I discussed this
shortly after the publicity about Adleman's work hit.

Check the archives.

I don't think you'll find any of us, or any cryptographers, arguing
that it was "substantial breakthrough for crypto."

If you do, please post.

> Isn't it a given that crypto is never free of
> smoke-blowing -- for unbreakability or weakness?

Silly words.

> On the Internet and the Intelnet and NSAnet there
> are no secure messages, only the illusion.

More silliness.

--Tim May
"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone
  with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later
  convinces himself." -- David Friedman