The Culpability of the Conformist Criminal Choate.

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Wed Jan 1 13:55:38 PST 2003

On Wednesday 01 January 2003 09:28, Jim Choate wrote:

> ... If I as an individual can not
> decide to take anothers life at my whim (ie 'convicted' by individual
> ethics) how than can a group of men do it? Can a group of men have a
> right that as individuals they do not? No. Ergo, the state has no
> 'right' (which is another hole in the logic) to take a life through
> some process called 'conviction'.
> The positions are actually hold-overs from past despotic
> mono-authoritarian world views. They have no place in a democratic
> society.

I am in complete agreement with Jim on this.

Crap --- now I need to check my meds.

SRF

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

You don't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development. You expect them to obey the law because they know
that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
    --Michael Shirley