Why Spammers Should Be SLOWLY Tortured to Death

Michael Gurski cypherpunks at gurski.org
Mon Feb 24 21:47:03 PST 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 09:09:54PM -0800, Eric Cordian wrote:
> It seems some spammer has decided to use my email address as his return
> address, and I am now getting his bounce messages.
> Am I uniquely blessed with this problem, or is this some new way for
> spammers to ensure they are hated even more than serial child molesters
> and terrorists.
>
> I think this really crosses the line into blatant illegality, and is a
> racheting up of spammer scumminess way beyond simply trying to evade
> filters with P'E'N'I'S and gratuitous HTML in the middle of suspicious
> words.

I'll see you your email address and raise you a non-published one.
I'd like to thank Earthlink for leaving SMTP VRFY on for so long after
I signed up with them just to have a way to dial-in while on the road
constantly (read: never, ever used the address anywhere except
internally to Earthlin).  I also get tons of spam to it.  A few days
ago, I got a bounce to it, from Yahoo, about a bunch of disabled
addresses I supposedly sent mail to...

Relevant link to someone else who's been more vocal about this:
"My Short Life As An Unintentional Porn Spammer" by Mike Masnick
<http://www.politechbot.com/p-04445.html>

(though I originally saw it on slashdot, but then, people who give a
damn about slashdot have already seen the /. url, while everyone else
is likely sick to death of message after message being sent here with
just a /. link and a title, if they haven't killfiled the most
prolific sender already)

--
Michael A. Gurski             (opt. [firstname].)[lastname]@pobox.com
Hail Eris! -><- All Hail Discordia!  O-  http://www.pobox.com/~[lastname]

"While the people are virtuous, they cannot be subdued: but when once
they lose their virtue, they will be ready to surrender their
liberties to the first external or internal invader."  --Samual Adams