The next time you see someone on TV in a "newsroom"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Feb 24 16:40:58 PST 2003

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 04:00  PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:43:37PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
>> And I notice that hanging on the wall to the right in the photo is the
>> "New York Times -- Baghdad Bureau" photo. "All the news that's fit to
>> simulate."
>
> Heh. I went on CNN Headline News last week around 7:20 am ET. They put
> me in a studio I hadn't been in before, with a remote-controlled
> camera and a photo of the monuments in the background. After my brief
> segment was over, a camera operator came in and rolled down the
> background a few inches -- apparently it hadn't been adjusted correctly
> and all you could see was the sky. They have another background (a
> continuous loop, on rollers) for daytime, night, etc. Will try to
> remember to take a photo the next time I'm there.

Those kinds of backgrounds are, I think, quite reasonable. They're very
obviously just backdrops, as the lights don't change, lights at night
don't flicker, clouds don't move, etc.

CNBC uses them for San Francisco backdrops...usually the Golden Gate
Bridge, or the Transamerica Pyramid, or the Bay Bridge. And they're
even clever enough to usually have an "overcast" shot when the day is
overcast, a "clear and sunny" shot as appropriate, and (less often for
programming reasons) night shots.

I think 99% of the viewers understand that it's just a visual cue to
remind those not hearing or reading the intro about where the
interviewee is located.

Putting up fake newsrooms is quite another matter, though. I don't
recall seeing this static shot of the "New York Times-Washington
Bureau" newsroom. It seems like a silly thing to do, to have a photo of
a newsroom with nobody in it.

On the backdrops themselves, I'm surprised they're not using blue
screen technology. The weather reporters have it, though with a
sometimes visible "edge" (which is distracting).

Since the War on (Some) Terrorists is the Wag the Dog War, we may soon
be seeing actual faked war footage.

(The best news has been that 100 or so American reporters have "signed
on" to wear actual uniforms, to be assigned to combat units, and to
participate in battles if need be. This I count as "good news" because
it may mean that captured reporters are not held-and-released the way
Bob Simon, for example, was in Iraq. This time they may face the same
fate other captured enemy face. And it erases any misconceptions that
the unquestioning press is actually independent of the
military-industrial-media complex. "Fox News -- Fair AND Balanced!")

--Tim May
"Ben Franklin warned us that those who would trade liberty for a little
bit of temporary security deserve neither. This is the path we are now
racing down, with American flags fluttering."-- Tim May, on events
following 9/11/2001