Gullible Journalists

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Feb 4 18:14:34 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 09:59:58AM -0800, Michael Motyka wrote:
> The net effect is that by and large journalists have become a
> cheerleading squad when what is needed is a vigorous and independent
> critical facility. That is if we are to retain some degree of the
> of, by and for philosophy. Maybe nobody wants that except for a few
> malcontents.

Right. See what I sent to Politech today:

Does Richard Clarke know what he's talking about?
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04403.html

More on Richard Clarke and root servers misstatement
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04405.html

Richard Clarke misstates Canadian elections cancelled?
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04404.html

Anyone think that Clarke is going to return my phone calls anytine soon?

It's human nature not to like criticism, and to shun (or, if sufficiently
annoying, to attack) your critics.

As another example, I got a call today from one of the popular Sunday
morning talk shows. They wanted my advice on whom to invite on. I
recommended someone, and they reminded me, "Um, didn't you watch the
program recently? Our host has been critical of that [person]. There's
no way we'll get someone from [that organization] on the program."

Sigh.

-Declan