"Touching shuttle debris may cause bad spirits to invade your body!"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Feb 3 09:43:02 PST 2003

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 09:18  AM, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

>> ...and some very, very tiny fraction may have actually touched
>> some component which made them slightly ill.
>
> Tf they ingested a part made of beryllium alloy, it could make them
> pretty
> sick...

First, if they are eating shuttle debris, think of it as evolution in
action.

Second, beryllium is not much used in the mostly-aluminum shuttle. Web
sites say some of the brake assemblies use beryllium and its alloys.

Third, it would take longer for someone who ate a shuttle part to feel
sick, due to Be or any other metal poisoning, than we saw on Saturday.
I vote for the "sympathetic magic" theory.

(As it happens, one of my first engineering assignments, in 1974, was
working on a BeO alternative to Al2O3/alumina for packages. Berylliosis
was a concern for the _manufacturing_ of the packages from pressed
powder, but touching or licking or whatever the finished packages was
not an issue.)

--Tim May