Passenger rail is for adventurers and bums

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Feb 1 09:12:16 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:44:50AM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> I don't know if this is your reason for expecting not to fly
> commercially again, but for anyone who thinks trains will somehow be
> exempted from the national security police state, think again.

Right. One Democratic "anti-terror" proposal would link police to Amtrak
databases: http://www.politechbot.com/p-02715.html

Even before Sept 11, Amtrak was sharing passenger info with the DEA
for drug prosecutions:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01909.html

Come on, folks -- Amtrak is a federal government entity. It will be in the
vanguard of the next big push to advance the national security state.

-Declan