Passenger rail is for adventurers and bums

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Sat Feb 1 09:53:47 PST 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:12:16PM -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:44:50AM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> > I don't know if this is your reason for expecting not to fly
> > commercially again, but for anyone who thinks trains will somehow be
> > exempted from the national security police state, think again.
>
> Right. One Democratic "anti-terror" proposal would link police to Amtrak
> databases: http://www.politechbot.com/p-02715.html
>
> Even before Sept 11, Amtrak was sharing passenger info with the DEA
> for drug prosecutions:
> http://www.politechbot.com/p-01909.html
>
> Come on, folks -- Amtrak is a federal government entity. It will be in the
> vanguard of the next big push to advance the national security state.

   Of course. I have no doubt whatsoever that we'll soon see checkpoints at
every entrance and exit to all cities where they search the cars and
passengers. It's only a matter of time. And probably require "visas" to travel
anywhere, or at least pre-trip filing of "travel plans."

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix