No subject

whellman at mail.utexas.edu whellman at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 30 20:52:26 PST 2003

Tim May wrote:

> So, I expect that even as I write CIA toxins experts are preparing what will
> make Saddam go away the quiet way. Look for him to go "of natural causes"
> before any War Crimes Tribunal can ever actually happen.

Wouldn't that be completely obvious? If Saddam just happened to die of "natural
causes" it seems to me like anyone with half a brain would be able to figure
out
what probably happened. Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I think
that
when he was captured they said he was healthy. Regardless of whether or not
that
was actually the case, if it is in fact the official position, it seems like it
would create troubles for a "natural death" scenario.

What would seem more likely to me is a Jack Ruby-style assassination. US forces
let Iraqi security escort Saddam from prison to the beginning of his trial, for
a nice photo-op. Unfortunately, as everyone knows, these Iraqi guards are still
adjusting and what have you, so oops, somehow a vengeful individual gets
through
and shoots Saddam in front of all the cameras. Sure, we would have rather had
him tried in a just court, but he /did/ make a lot of enemies over the years,
and you know how that works...

Hell, they might not even have to explicitly hire anyone to do it. Just make
sure security is kind of slack and let word of this slip out, and the problem
takes care of itself...

Wes Hellman