unsub from lne

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Mon Dec 29 13:02:09 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 11:48:17AM -0800, Tim May wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2003, at 9:42 AM, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>
> >   Hmm, maybe Eric needs to undo his spam filter so people can unsub
> >from
> >lne.com. I just tried to, but it was rejected as undeliverable "spam".
> >Tried
> >sending it thru a remailer but don't know if majordomo will go for
> >that.
> >

> An unsubscribe command sent to the lne.com administrivia address was
> rejected as spam?
>
> I find that hard to believe, as that is one of the normal commands,
> ones which the lne regular message lists.
>
> Perhaps you tried to send an unsubscribe message to the actual lne.com
> list site, rather than the administrivia address.
>

> Check which address you mailed to.

   No, it went to the correct address. I've set up and run majordomo lists, so
am fairly familiar with the procedure. The problem is that my email server sits
on an ameritech dsl line, and in the last year or so, a number of domains have
begun rejecting email from such. Some because it's a "block of IPs used for home
dsl lines", some because "someone on your network has been sending spam", etc.
   IIRC, didn't you yourself have a problem awhile back mailing to lne.com? I
haven't been able to mail to it for a long time, but stayed subscribed because
of Eric's good filter, and just posted thru another node.
    With other domains, like new.rr.com that reject mail from my server, I just
map it to go thru the ameritech smtp server, which works but is annoying. At
this point there are eight domains I've had to do that with. Could have done it
with lne.com too, of course, but prefered to not have my posts to cpunks going
thru the ameritech server with it's (probably) attendent carnivore box. Maybe
that's irrelevant -- maybe they have it on the gateway routers instead.