Sunny Guantanamo (Re: Speaking of the Geneva convention)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Tue Dec 23 22:17:11 PST 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Justin wrote:

> Jim Dixon (2003-12-19 13:30Z) wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> >
> > > In a nutshell, our Constitution *recognizes* universal human rights.
> > > It does not *establish* these rights.  If we are going to be
> > > faithful to this premise, physical location is a non-sequitor.
> >
> > This is a valid and probably commendable political position.  I do not
> > believe, however, that it reflects current practice in the USA or
> > elsewhere.
>
> If these rights apply to everyone at all times, how does war work?  War
> is clearly a deprivation of life, liberty, or property without due
> process.  Which of those three are suffering deprivation depends on the
> type of war and particular battle plans.

Precisely.  Under this viewpoint, [initiation of] war does *not* work.  We
have zero moral authority to wage war under the system we pretend to operate
under.

 --
Yours,
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

"Unbridled nationalism, as distinguished from a sane and legitimate
patriotism, must give way to a wider loyalty, to the love of humanity as a
whole. Bah'u'llh's statement is: "The earth is but one country, and mankind
its citizens."

The Promise of World Peace
http://www.us.bahai.org/interactive/pdaFiles/pwp.htm