"the Kuwait issue is not associated with America"

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Dec 20 09:40:26 PST 2003

On 20 Dec 2003 at 12:40, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Thanks Steve, I don't think I have heard this before. I googled on the
> text you quoted and found this url
>
> http://wais.stanford.edu/Iraq/iraq_andambassaprilglaspie22303.html
>
> and a few more
>
> http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/ARTICLE5/april.html
> http://www.chss.montclair.edu/english/furr/glaspie.html
>
> I don't know what to say. This makes me sick to my stomach.
>
> I guess one way of lookin at this is that U.S. played dirty and
> deceiving. U.S. is more or less the reason Iraq invaded Kuwait.
>
> I guess this is not told on Fox news.

I see you did not actually read
"http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/ARTICLE5/april.html"

There are two versions of Glaspie's conversation.  One believable,
one unbelievable.  One of which tells Saddam that the US is deeply
concerned about Saddam invading, implicitly threatening him while
explicitly denying any threat, one of which gives the green light for
invasion.

One definitely gives the green light.  The other can be read as
giving the green light, but would not be so read by anyone who wanted
to stay alive.

Needless to say, one version comes from more credible sources than
the other.