Sunny Guantanamo (Re: Speaking of the Geneva convention)

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 21:21:14 PST 2003

At 06:37 PM 12/19/2003, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/19/2003 3:38:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>jamesd at echeque.com writes:
>
> > Saddam was warned that if he took Kuwait, terrible consequences
> > might well follow.
> >

>That's bullshit.  Saddam was told by our Chick ambassador (I can't remember
>her name) that the US had no interest in his dispute with Kuwait, in effect
>giving Saddam a green light.

Yep, it was a set-up.

Saddam Hussein summoned US Ambassador Glaspie and asked her to clarify the
American position.

"I have direct instructions from the President to seek better relations
with Iraq. [] Our opinion is that you should have the opportunity to
rebuild your country. But we have no opinion on Arab-Arab conflicts like
your border disagreement with Kuwait." [7]

steve