The killer app for encryption

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:18:32 PST 2003

"I'm not certain, but I think there are some MS certified modems which have
a generalized A/D-D/A capability sufficient to handle voice."

They do. And I'm not so sure POTS is going to be where things will be the
most interesting...cable modem telephony might be where things get
interesting.

As for the Telcos allowing a call to be terminated on their copper, they'll
never let this happen without going through the 5ESS, and recent legislation
means they probablyt won't have to let you use some higher frequency band
either.

I've heard of some P2P startups that leverage the discovery mechanisms in
P2P networks in order to setup a SIP session for telephony. It's interesting
to consider the possibility that, depending on the P2P system, it's
conceivable that one could call another user without having any way to
"trace" that call, or payment for that matter. So if bin Laden were feelin'
lonely one day and signed onto the network, you could give him a call,
without him worrying about the missles falling within a few minutes.

-TD