U.S. in violation of Geneva convention?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Dec 19 11:35:10 PST 2003

    --
> Has Saddam recieved a lawyer yet?  Will Saddam be judged by a
> court having jurisdiction and being recognized
> internationally?

Saddam will be judged by his victims, who have jurisdiction
enough for me.  Who cares whether the guys at the Hague agree?

Hague claims of jurisdiction have unfailingly led to bad
results, as in the current disastrous trial of Milosevic.

This is the same problem as occurred when the Westphalian state
took over police powers from the local gentry, but in even more
extreme form.

The more distant the police and courts are from the crime, the
criminals, and the victims, the less likely they are to provide
justice, and the slower, more expensive, and less effectual
that justice will be, if justice comes at all, which it
probably will not.

Hague justice does not work.  It is failing with Milosevic. It
would fail with Saddam.  The court at the Hague is apt to
convict the innocent and acquit the guilty in the face of all
evidence, illustrating in more extreme form the problems that
occur with the police powers of the Westphalian state.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     IiS2b9l7DPo2NQXOdJr115U+lCtla97DXp8x4D8z
     4bCeKZNEInAT6Ra8UWqc7RyU+Uo6+JH777FclJ48e