U.S. in violation of Geneva convention?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Dec 19 11:35:10 PST 2003

    --
J.A. Terranson:
> > > One leettllleee problem: we are not really at war.

James A. Donald:
> > Sure looks like war to me.

J.A. Terranson:
> I guess that's why the congresscritters told Shrub to GFY
> when he tried to get a declaration?

After 9/11 Congress gave the president a blank declaration of
war -- names to be filled in later by presidential fiat.  In
addition, the original declaration of war on Iraq is still in
effect, a fact that congress re-affirmed recently.

The blank declaration of war is what the supreme court deemed
to be an unconstitutional delegation of powers back in the
1930s.  Roosevelt responded by threatening to stack the court,
and the court reversed itself.

The blank declaration is supposed to last for the duration of
the war on terror, which was expected to last a generation, but
which has proven so convenient for the government that it may
well become permanent.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     HljLjS7+W9LEuxbq7VnSuM5kR+tZolVcQvGN3514
     4f+D7vVmteFZvOSc2OURJhqQrdzVGAEtdAvDPRaf4