U.S. in violation of Geneva convention?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Thu Dec 18 19:57:07 PST 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, James A. Donald wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2003 at 19:09, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> > And all of this is meaningless: we simply had no right to
> > invade a foreign, *sovereign* nation.
>
> Although you probably do not know it, you are invoking the
> rules of the peace of Westphalia.
>
> The Soviet Union never respected the peace of Westphalia.

Which was evil.

> After the election of Ronald Reagan, neither did the US,

Living proof that you can become what you hate.

> and
> the US has never resumed respecting it, so that stuff is
> ancient history now.

So what you are saying is that we have become the Soviet Union?

> National Sovereignty, like the divine
> right of kings, just is not taken seriously any more, and the
> only people weeping big salt tears about its passing are those
> who enthusiastically hailed all the Soviet violations of it as
> wars of national liberation.

Spare me.  I was no Soviet apologist.  And until Reagan I was a dyed in the
wool republican.  Yet, I shed and continue to shed tears for a race of people
that refuses to respect the rights of men and their nations.  Like the
Soviets.  Or [now], the Americans...

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

"Unbridled nationalism, as distinguished from a sane and legitimate
patriotism, must give way to a wider loyalty, to the love of humanity as a
whole. Bah'u'llh's statement is: "The earth is but one country, and mankind
its citizens."

The Promise of World Peace
http://www.us.bahai.org/interactive/pdaFiles/pwp.htm