Sunny Guantanamo (Re: Speaking of the Geneva convention)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Thu Dec 18 17:41:42 PST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Jim Dixon wrote:

<SNIP>
> Why does the US military have
> to treat them as though they had US constitutional rights?  They are not
> citizens or physically present in the United States.

In a nutshell, our Constitution *recognizes* universal human rights.  It does
not *establish* these rights.  If we are going to be faithful to this
premise, physical location is a non-sequitor.

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

"Unbridled nationalism, as distinguished from a sane and legitimate
patriotism, must give way to a wider loyalty, to the love of humanity as a
whole. Bah'u'llh's statement is: "The earth is but one country, and mankind
its citizens."

The Promise of World Peace
http://www.us.bahai.org/interactive/pdaFiles/pwp.htm