The killer app for encryption

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 18:41:42 PST 2003

At 06:14 PM 12/18/2003, Morlock Elloi wrote:
> > What I'd like to see is a P2P telephony that also supports end-user
> > gateways to the POTS.  I'm not certain, but I think there are some MS

>However, I don't see people letting others use their POTS lines, nor I see
>them
>using their own for this purpose. Yes, this would essentially eliminate long
>distance charges for those so equipped ... but if A and B have these gateways
>and use them, what is the chance of them not being AT the gateway (ie. not
>having laptops) at any given moment - why bother using POTS in the loop in the
>first place ?
>
>VoIP companies are already doing this and the cost is quite low (calling
>cards)
>- why bother?

Because it means you can complete call to the POTs with no
company-controlled switch involved, meaning no where to serve a court
order.  Since the call could be routed through a few intermediate nodes and
still not have too much latency traffic analysis could take longer than
short calls.  Since the last gateway could be selected from a potentially
large group, in major cities anyway, obtaining a phone tap in time could be
come problematic.

Also, if long distance charges don't drop to zero soon, it means
participating residential users could actually resell their POTS.

steve