U.S. in violaton of Geneva convention?

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Wed Dec 17 18:16:04 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 18:18, Jim Dixon wrote:

> I spent several years travelling in that part of the world.

Well, that just blew your credibility with this crowd. You're supposed
to spout off on topics about which you know nothing. Bonus points for
reflexive anti-state-ism [1] [2], and in particular antiamericanism. And
for idealistic crypto solutions to the world's problems, which
unfortunately will never work in a world inhabited by real people. (Not
that you're expected to admit that.)

The sheltered children on this list need to get out into the nastier
parts of the world. They need to see what life is like when the
government is _really_ bad, not just some warts on a mostly benevolent
institution. They also need to get a better feel for the cultural
differences around the world -- even though we're all humans, what seems
like a great idea in Berkeley might not fly in Baghdad or Beijing.

[1] As contrasted with anti-statism.

[2] Just let the market solve everything. And strong cryptography makes
your place of residence irrelevant. Unless, of course, the police goon
squad burst in and raped your children in front of you because you were
trying to change your place of residence.