U.S. in violaton of Geneva convention?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Dec 16 18:17:49 PST 2003

    --
On 16 Dec 2003 at 22:50, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> This makes me a bit curious. Tell me, is your opinion then
> that the U.S. has done nothing questionable here? You don't
> feel that treating a former head of state (regardless of what
> you happen to think of that person) in this manner and
> videorecording it AND transmitting it to the entire globe
> violates the spirit of the convention?

I assume you are addressing me.

If I had my druthers,  I would hang him from a lamp post by one
arm for the Iraqi populace to use as pinata.

The geneva accords are an agreement between honorable warriors
to treat each other honorably in war and victory, and a
explanation of what constitutes honorable war fighting.  I
doubt too many heads of state qualify.  I am quite sure Saddam
does not.

> I don't know, but I have this feeling that just maybe this
> wasn't the most appropriate way to behave all things
> considered. This is a tense and volatile region as it is. I
> think we all should exercise caution

Nothing like a bit of pinata thumping give youthful energy and
high spirits a safe outlet.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     CSjJWocwbOahKDLO63mBolSDS+4iUP3qS67zd4hs
     41KsROdMjKp3F9n3uxJmghe632ARDSHhf9s9MR276