cpunk-like meeting report

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Dec 16 08:55:43 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:50:51AM -0500, V Alex Brennen wrote:

> I don't even plan on subscribing myself.  I just wanted to get
> the traffic off of cypherpunks.

Fair enough. You can remove the list, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't give a damn about posting copyrighted content; no point posting to a
closed-archive list if you've got cold feet. I can hide that information
on my own hard drive as well.

> Back when I first joined this list, cypherpunks where
> known for making news, not reading it. I recognized some

The world has moved on since, unfortunately. Wake up, and smell the Kafka.

> addresses posting here recently from other lists that may
> suggest a revival is possible if we can clean things up a
> bit.

Yeah, you and John Galt.

> For the most part, the only people who subscribed to the
> new list are the people who tend to forward news
> announcements.  There seems to be very few consumers

Which part of "collaborative news filtering" you don't understand?
Ideally, one should a producer and consumer in one person.
Alas, most people are passive slobs, so it takes a lot of them to become
critical.

> (4 out of 7 subscribers on the new list - there's 8 total
> so far, one person subscribed twice).

Transhumantech has 300 subscribers. Five of them are active posters.
I consider the list a success, and read it daily. It took several years to
get there.

Cypherpunk agenda is supposed to be a _widely_ held secret.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]