U.S. in violation of Geneva convention?

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Mon Dec 15 18:38:04 PST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 5:36 PM, Anonymous wrote:

> I am not sure I agree. I am no expert on this however. I saw several
> people commenting the issue of Geneva convention on CNN during the
> day. Also I saw an expert on this field from another country
> commenting on the issue stating that it was a clear violation of the
> convention. In either of these interviews were there any discussion on
> whether it didn't apply to this specific case due to what clothings he
> happened to wear or whattever. I got the impression that it was clear
> that the U.S. treatment wasn't fully appropriate.

The U.S. would have screamed up and down in front of the U.N. and
threatened severe reprisals if a U.S. prisoner were to have his (or
her) mouth, hair, and medical exam televised by the Iranians, Syrians,
Serbians, Iraqis, Panamanians, or any of the other nations we have gone
to war with.

There are specific clauses which refer to not publically humiliating a
prisoner. I'm surprised the Agitprop Division didn't show video of
Saddam taking his first dump while in custody.

Saddam is not a good guy. But this went beyond the pale. I hope the
next time a U.S. fighter is captured he is shown publically humiliated,
with an Iranian or Syrian or French doctor forcing his mouth open and
checking his hair for lice. The U.S. would be in no position to
complain. (But they would, of course.)

But, what can one expect of a country which refers to its own
terrorists who blow up commercial Cuban planes as "freedom fighters"
and to Palestinians seeking to expel the Zionist Jew invaders as
"terrorists"?

We are in Wonderland and the Republicrats are the Mad Hatters.

--Tim May
"We are at war with Oceania. We have always been at war with Oceania."
"We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia."
"We are at war with Iraq. We have always been at war with Iraq.
"We are at war with France. We have always been at war with France."