Compromised Remailers

Keith Ray keith at nullify.org
Mon Dec 15 14:14:54 PST 2003

Quoting Bill Stewart <bill.stewart at pobox.com>:

> At 06:49 PM 12/13/2003 +0100, some provocateur claiming to be Anonymous
> wrote:
> >    A question for the moment might well be how many if any of
> >the remailers are operated by TLAs?
>
> Remailers are secure if at least one remailer in a chain
> is _not_ compromised...

A case-in-point on this is the admin of the Frog remailer in 2001.  He 'outted'
a user who chained a message through both of Frog admin's remailers.  The admin
didn't like what was said and used his logs to match the sender with the
decrypted outgoing message.  With sendmail and verbose Mixmaster logs, this is
trivial to do.  It's also not unheard of for remops to log and cooperate to
'out' a spammer.

If I were remailing a message that would get me sent to prison, I would
definately use a Wi-Fi hotspot and use 3-4 chained remailers with random delays.
 By the time the message is delivered, it will be many hours/days since the
message was sent.

 --
Keith Ray <keith at nullify.org> -- OpenPGP Key: 0x79269A12