cpunk-like meeting report

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Dec 15 03:02:52 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 08:00:57PM -0800, Tim May wrote:

> Some people think spinning off new lists whenever they get interested
> in some area is interesting. Most of these lists fail for obvious

There's a specific niche of high-volume topical news lists. They're designed
to distribute the mining the news sources load. Life's too short for
everybody to read every news source just to learn what's new in a specific
area.

They can take a while to get started, but once they go critical they
can become a valuable resource.

My problem with cpunx-news is that I've found relying on other people
for critical infrastructure a mistake.

> reasons. Sometimes a famous person, especially Net famous, creates a
> vanity list. Hence the "Interesting People" vanity list. This trend
> seems to be giving way to Blogs, however, as the various
> net.personalities realize that what they really want is a forum for
> blogging their message to an attentive audience.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]