Don't worry...it's just one of Saddam's doubles

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Mon Dec 15 01:07:46 PST 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Tim May wrote:

> How boring. The DNA confirmation was reported on all of the puppet news
> organizations here.

It made it to the evening news. Which I missed (my info was from the news
at noon), and caught only this morning in the evening news rerun.

> The Germans and Eastern Europeans, being mostly opposed to the war,
> probably just buried the confirmation.

They just delayed it. Most likely timezone stuff. Local news take their
material from the standard newsfeeds; though it's fun to watch who
includes what details and how the spin differs by station. (Does anybody
here know if it's possible to receive the raw APTN and Reuters satellite
newsfeeds, and how?)

> The Czech Republic supported the war,

Local political scene was much less than homogenous in this issue. The
quarrels around it were quite amusing to watch (though it all boiled down
into if it will be better to kiss American ass or the European one, or,
better, if there isn't a way how to kiss both of them at once).

> and sent troops, and now that Saddam has been captured, both of them
> will be returning home, with medals.

You don't know local administration. The troops can consider themselves
lucky if they get official thank you.