Has this photo been de-stegoed? (and Clouds)

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:35:51 PST 2003

Variola wrote...

"How do you know the signature of the unaltered carrier-medium?
E.g., have you measured the LSBit noise from my camera recently?
Under which lighting conditions?"

Well, having done some optical signal processing (and getting a patent in
that area, come to think of it), I imagined that most photos will naturally
have some image noise in certain frequency bands...this noise would not have
to have anything to do with your camera or whatever, but is probably a
function of what's in the image. For instance, a picture of a naked girl
standing in front of drywall probably has very little useful image energy in
spatial frequencies represented down at the length of a pixel. In a spatial
fft there's probably a lot of low frequency white noise for a while, until
you get to the level of the shorter body hairs and whatnot. And then there
may be spatial freuency bands between that and her height that are nearly
unoccupied with image energy.

>From a spatial/fft perspective I imagined that this is where stego'd
information goes. I also imagined that if it were done in a very simple way,
the stegoed info will be fairly obvious to someone knowledgeable and looking
at the spatial fft of the image. I imagine that it will look obvious
because, to an expert, it won't look like the authentic kind of noise
expected there. If the information is encrypted, I consider it possible that
the noise may even look too "perfect" perhaps.

If that's true, then I suspect it's often possible to determine that a
photo's stego has been removed. Or at least, there will be cases where stego
removal will be "obvious".

Come to think of it, I bet TLA operatives are given precise instructions
about what kinds of photos make for undiscernable stego (I'd bet where the
spatial image information is not well-concentrated into "bands"). In other
words, a photo with all different-sized objects in it. Perhaps they even
travel with some photos for just this purpose.

Hum. I wonder if photos of "clouds" work well for this purpose. That would
actually explain something I encountered recently....

-TD