ALTA/DMT privacy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Thu Dec 11 12:24:35 PST 2003

On Dec 11, 2003, at 11:54 AM, James A. Donald wrote:

>     --
> On 10 Dec 2003 at 19:31, Tim May wrote:
>> I receive several messages a month saying I need to re-verify
>> information with an E-gold account (which I never recall
>> establishing, by the way).
>
> These are messagers from scammers.  e-gold never sends out
> email.
>
>> E-gold was never even slightly interesting to me for reasons
>> I talked about a few years ago--the notion that a bar of gold
>> moving between shelves in someone's hotel room in Barbados or
>> Guyana or wherever is equivalent to untraceability is silly
>> Randroid idol-worship raised to the fourth power.
>
> Every atom of gold is identical to every other atom of gold.
> There is only one stable isotope.
>
> E-gold does not provide untraceability -- but gold does.

Where tax authorities get people is in the transfer _in to_ and _out
of_ certain kinds of accounts, be they Cayman Island or Swiss bank
accounts, whatever. The issue with opening a Swiss bank account and
wiring money into it, or depositing Federal Reserve Notes into it has
NOTHING to do with FRNs having serial numbers and hence being
traceable. The issue is with their own reporting to the IRS (these
days) and to stops in place to stop the wiring of said money or the
transport of said FRNs.

What *form* the "item of value" is inside the bank, be it gold bars or
Spanish doubloons or stacks of $20 bills or diamonds, is unimportant.
In fact, for all intents and purposes the "item of value" inside the
bank can be marks in a ledger book, which is effectively the situation
today.

(It is true that what is stored inside a bank, be it gold coins or
Federal Reserve Notes, becomes important if and when enough depositors
ask for their money in that particular form. But this is an issue of
believing the bank does in fact store gold dust or doubloons or FRNs,
not anything about the intrinsic untraceability of such things!)

In other words, any bank except for "U-Stor-It-Yourself" safe deposit
systems, is basically a black box with beliefs by I/O users about how
likely it is to behave according to its specifications.

That some of the gold fetishists here keep perpetuating this deep
misunderstanding of the issues is...unsurprising.

--Tim May