(No Subject)

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Wed Dec 10 08:22:07 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:20:20PM -0600, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> We have anonymity in Web browsing (more or less, thanks to Lance &
> co). It's not NSA-proof, but it's probably subpoena-proof.
>
> We have anonymity in email thanks to remailers (to the extent they're
> still around).
>
> We have anonymity in publishing, and to some extent, document
> retrieval, thanks to Freenet.
>
> We have anonymity in one-way communications/dead drops thanks to
> remailers gatewayed to Usenet newsgroups (if any still even do that).

alt.anonymous.messages has a healthy amount of traffic. Google Groups
says they have a bit more than 200 messages in it on December 9, for
example. I assume nearly all of it is from remailers posting to Usenet
(or remailers sending mail to mail2news gateways), otherwise there's
little point of using it.

--
avva