Is Matel Stalinist?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 09:39:51 PST 2003

Well, I wouldn't apply the word "oppressive" across the board to the
cultures of big companies, but the fact is that modern American coporate
culture more often than not imitates a top-down, 'statist' culture that is
so universal we rarely recognize it.

For instance, high-level strategic decisions are made almost entirely in the
vacuum of power. And often, that's appropriate. But many times, the actual
people who do the work and know the most about the subject are completely
out of the loop. Silicon Valley at its best operates in a very different
way...companies are far more driven from the product/technology/service
perspective, instead of imagining that balance sheets can make a Lucent into
a Cisco. (And at its best, if some hot engineers along with a couple of
useful management types feel strongly enough about a missed opportunity,
they just split off and start doing it.)

But the best of Sillicon Valley is a rare exception. Most of the time "they"
make decisions and people who are the technical experts must merely quietly
implement those decisions. It's interesting to imagine what would have
happened to Lucent if, for instance, the employees could have voted on the
acquisition of Chromatis. They would have quickly realized that they were
getting a raw $3B deal on a mediocre product, AND that they already had
something equivalent ready in-house.

Retail is the absolute worst. FOr whatever reason (and I don't believe it
has anything to do with competitiveness), big CD or Book chains never
empower or reward employees on their ability to purchase books for their
store that sell well. In fact, almost zero real purchasing decisions are
done locally.

But nobody seems to notice...we're completely used to being passive cogs in
a big, fat machine-state. So in a sense, it's gone way beyond
'repression'...no need for that rat-cage around our heads anymore.

-Tyler Durden