Decline of the Cypherpunks list...Part 19

Freematt357 at aol.com Freematt357 at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 06:52:28 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/8/2003 8:27:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
declan at well.com writes:

> >As for writing for "Reason," they haven't asked, and their editorial
> >focus is increasingly statist. Cf. Cathy Young's quote at the bottom of
> >this post.
>
> I disagree. I went to a Reason gathering in Washington last Thursday
> and found the staffers there definitely not statist.

Reason has improved mightily after Nick Gillespie took over from Postrel as
editor. After the Cathy Young statement I raised holy hell with Reason and to
their credit both David Nott (President, Reason Foundation) and Mike Alissi
(Publisher) both wrote me and promised, which they delivered, pro encryption
articles.

Around ten years ago I had a heated argument with one of the deep pocketed
Trustees of the Reason Foundation about what I considered the magazine's
divergence from libertarian thought. He basically said that if the magazine went into
a more overtly libertarian direction, they'd lose subscribers-  I thought
then that was bs, and even let my subscription lapse.  I resubscribed a couple of
years ago and have found the magazine much improved.

Regards,  Matt Gaylor-