Decline of the Cypherpunks list...Part 19

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Dec 9 07:45:33 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:27:38PM -0800, James A. Donald wrote:
> Everyone agrees that big corporations are oppressive,
> bureaucratic, inefficient, etc.   No one more so than the
> management advisers to big corporations.

I'm not sure I'd agree that big corporations are oppressive. How?
I once worked at Xerox and had a splendid time. Didn't feel "oppressed"
at all.

As for bureaucratic and inefficient, perhaps, but I've seen 50-people
organizations devolve quite well. I suppose it all depends on your
frame of reference. If you mean, "I can find perceived
inefficiencies," I'm sure you can. But if they become too inefficient,
well, over time competitors will rise to take advantage of those
inefficiencies. Xerox can be an example here as well. This is just
common sense.

-Declan