Decline of the Cypherpunks list...Part 19

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Dec 8 16:27:38 PST 2003

    --
Tim May:
> >> And, as many have noted, very few of the "kids" today are
> >> libertarians (either small L or large L).

James A. Donald:
> > When you were a teenager, everyone thought that Ho Chi Minh
> > was the greatest, had a picture of Che Guevera on their
> > wall, and thought the Soviet Union was going to win.

Tim May
> Nonsense. "Everyone" did not think this. Far from it. YAF was
> going strong back then.

Well, not everyone, but that was surely the way the wind was
blowing. The Che Guevera poster symbolizes that era.

In "austin powers", they make the spy sound sixties by
depicting him as expecting the victory of the Soviet Union, and
perhaps rather favoring that outcome.   If they had him quote
Ayn Rand, he would not have sounded sixties.

When the mass media want to cash in on nostalgia for the
sixties and early seventies, it is the young commies they
remember.

> Still think most of the baldies of today, with rings through
> their noses, marching against Coca Cola and Intel and Big
> Business, and arguing for affirmative action are "more
> libertarian"?

Go to the mall:  observe the mall rats.   See any baldies or
nose rings? (Come to think of it, you probably would, but I do
not.)

Nip down to that park in San Jose where all the young people
get their drugs.  See any baldies or nose rings?

You are further out of it than Doonesbury.

The leadership of the Death-to-coca-cola crowd are old farts.
These days Chomsky needs an interpeter.  The
could-pass-as-young pinko activists of the sixties are still in
the business as old fart pinko activists of today.   And if the
same is true of the libertarian party, well it has been walking
dead for some considerable time, but its death does not reflect
the health of libertarianism.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     kHn9sx1THFU+pOMZQFj1k0jU7RnUtA877TClsJYB
     4KSl9qDarOhEujymWANpT3Le2YbPsr5NOMfIblUzm