Decline of the Cypherpunks list...Part 19

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Dec 8 16:27:38 PST 2003

    --
On 7 Dec 2003 at 21:06, proclus at gnu-darwin.org wrote:
> many here likely would not be happy if I called myself
> libertarian, because I feel that corporations are titanic
> forces unfriendly to the vast majority of human beings and
> unworthy of human liberty.

Everyone agrees that big corporations are oppressive,
bureaucratic, inefficient, etc.   No one more so than the
management advisers to big corporations.

Trouble is when you say they are unworthy of liberty, the
implication is let us transfer power to something a great deal
bigger.

This is the "big tobacco' rhetoric -- a restriction supposedly
on corporations must always necessarily manifest as
restrictions on individual people, and usually, as in the case
of the "big tobacco' rhetoric, it was quite obviously the
intent of those using this rhetoric to impose restrictions on
individual people.  Those using this rhetoric believe they know
better than other people what is good for those other people,
and intend to whack those other people for their own good.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     h0PDSIpmiXP6g+EXs3how/E0TY9et8gJKr2+nS0w
     4z3+n+3NXrRvBDk0BaUUE8TzqII22OrrXWgqmSfhP