Has this photo been de-stegoed?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 11:24:17 PST 2003

OK...let's say I receive a photo that I expected to contain stegoed
information on it,  but then find that there's nothing I can retrieve using
the likely methods or software.

Is it possible to determine that the photo 'originally' (ie, when it was
sent to me) contained stegoed information, but that it was intercepted in
transit and the real message overwritten with noise or whatever?

Now I know pretty much nothing about this subject, but I would suppose that
de-stegoing a photo must like some kind of spatial spectral fingerprint that
should be visible after the photo is FFT'd (is there freeware software out
there?).

Now I IMAGINE that a sophisticated interceptor could substitute 'believable'
de-stego-ing noise so that it would look like the photo never had any stego
in the first place. OR...is this actually 'impossible' to do perfectly?

And then, what if the interceptor tried to put an alternate message in there
instead? Is there a way to tell that there was originallya different message
there?

My assumption first of all is that nothing was done to prepare the photo
against these possibilities. A simple stego message was placed without real
thought about whether it might be intercepted and altered.

-TD